Converting Waste into Rupiah at Gemah Ripah Garbage Bank

By: Kostansa Hukum.          

It turns out that waste issue is not as simple as I thought before. I throw things that I do not use any longer into the rubbish bin and everything has done. The waste issue can be worse because people’s ‘ignorance’ without care about trash. However, I found enlightenment from the student training held by Stube HEMAT Yogyakarta when I joined the Energy and Environment Program (Training and Exposure). I saw in the brochure that there was an exposure to Gemah Ripah Garbage Bank. Then a question arose in my mind, what kind of waste bank it is? What are the activities? Is it collected waste?

First, I introduce myself, I am Kostansa Hukum, from Aru Islands, studying Management at the Immanuel Christian University. I think that waste management in Aru is not good because many people do not care about the environment by throwing garbage directly into the sea or swamps, which is easily washed away when the tide is high. In Aru, no one wants to buy waste and then resell it. If someone wants to buy trash, it will be a good thing because it can reduce waste in Aru. In general, paper and plastic waste are burned and thrown away, not processed yet into something valuable. Actually, they learned how to make handicrafts from used materials at the elementary and junior high schools, however after they graduated, they did not do it anymore.

From the training, I found that the waste issue is closely related to us because we produce waste every time. At Gemah Ripah Garbage Bank in Bantul, Bambang Suwerda as a resource person, the pioneer of this waste bank, said that this is a movement from the community to manage their waste. There, we identified the types of waste, such as paper, plastic, glass bottles, cans, and iron. By visiting the place directly, I could see that from these various types of waste, I could make money by selling waste according to its types and creatively recycling waste into many products such as, key chains, flower pots, clothes, and other ones. From the experience I discovered new things that  I just found out that garbage has a bank, garbage can make money by recycling, even one used plastic bottle can be divided into 3 types of waste, such as cap, label, and the bottle itself. Next, I looked back how the cleanliness of my boarding house, every room has a trash bin but the residents do not care and let the garbage pile up. This is my challenge to be an example and invite my boardingmate to manage waste better.

I hope this article can add information and experience for readers, and we can start implementing the proper way of disposing garbage and keeping the place and environment clean. I will share with others my experience gained in the Stube HEMAT how to manage and reduce it. ***

Comments